Saturday 14 November 2009

Strawberry & Cream Shortcakes

These were supposed to be sponge cupcakes. But somehow.. they turned into some sort of shortcake. I'm not sure what I did wrong.. but they weren't what I thought they would be. I think I overbeated the mixture when I was beating the eggs. Overbeating is a big NO NO when making sponge cakes. I'll keep practicing!!

Strawberry & Cream Shortcakes[Makes 10] Printable Recipe

You will need...
Plus cream & strawberries for the filling.

Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees celsius, and line 10 holes of a 12 hole muffin tray with cupcake wrappers.
Beat the 3 eggs for approximately 5 minutes or until they are light and fluffy. (Try not to overbeat them..)
Add about 1 tablespoon of sugar at a time, making sure it is mixed in after each one.Sift the plain flour, corn flour and self raising flour into a bowl, and then sift again.
Sift the flours once more, this time into the egg mixture.

Gently fold in the flour. Again, try not to overmix!
Pour approximately 1/4 cup of mixture into the prepared tray, and place in the over for 20-25 minutes.
Once they are cooked, place them immediately on a wire rack to cool.
Once cooled, whip up some cream (I used about 1/2 cup) and cut up some strawberries (probably about half a strawberry per cake) you could also put jam, but I didn't have any!
Take the wrapper off the cupcake, and cut the cupcake in half. Place a heaped teaspoon of cream on the bottom of the cupcake, and then some cut up strawberry ontop of that.
Replace 'lid' of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment